Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Thigh High Boots makes me excited about Fashion

I spent most of my puberty in Vancouver, and let me tell you about the culture of under-dressing over there. For example, Lululemon came from Vancouver and was one of the main staple of people's streetwear for a while (probably still is). That means, you see people eating, shopping, and going to school and sometimes work in Lululemon's yoga apparel. If you whipped out your dressy coat and boots, you are sure to draw stares. These are not derogatory stares, you are merely out of place, so people look in wonder.

Actually I'm not unhappy about this general lack of high fashion in Vancouver as I was growing into a woman. This fit the frugal side of me very well. I didn't need to accessorize, I didn't need to buy quality apparel because everyone's clothing looks worn anyways. LOL.

So my point is, I'm very happy these couple of years, because my secret love for the audacious has finally been allowed into the mainstream. For example, I've always had a thing for sexy things you wear for the bedroom. And it used to be that thigh-high boots are mostly used for seductive purposes (wink wink), but NOW, it's extremely mainstream as Fall'09 runway collections are FILLED with them.

Report - Fairfax (Black) - Footwear



The thigh high boots started out strong with Rodarte's strappy thigh highs which I LOVE~! Then, Prada had thigh high wellies, Antonio Berardi did it furry, Roberto Cavalli did a cross between thighs and boots, Hussein Chalayan added garter belts (awesome!), Gareth Pugh made his thigh highs taller with platforms, Giles Deacon combined thigh highs with shorts, Gucci did it like Spandex boot leggings (sorry, I'm not liking it, Frida Giannini!), Jean Paul Gaultier made them with lots of laces, Lacoste sported a sporty version, Leonard made brown suede thigh high boots a uniform on its runway, Marc Jacobs had a purple suede version for the 80's, Peter Jensen added flowers and patterns to his thigh highs, Rick Owens flared his thigh high boots at the ankles and fitted them above the knee, Ohne Titel cinched thigh high boots over the knee, Stella McCartney had faux-leather thigh highs that were so high they reached the crotch, Viktor and Rolf wore pants inside the boots, Isabel Marant wore thigh high boots over leggings, and Vivienne Westwood focused on the knee caps.

So I'm probably buying a thigh high boots this season. And I have my eyes on Fairfax (above) or Mercer by Report, Midnight by MIA, and Kitty Kat by Two Lips.

Report - Fairfax (Black) - Footwear




MIA - Midnight (Black Smooth) - Footwear



Two Lips - Kitty Kat (Tan Suede) - Footwear



Currently, it is really hard to make a choice because these are all great, but leather is quite costly, so I might go for the Midnight by MIA, which can be worn down or up. I am also unsure about the 21" to 25" shaft and whether that would go very far on my thighs. So if nothing works out for me, I might have to try what this woman from Vogue did to have her own version of the garter-belted thigh high boots!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails